Sauteed Arugula (Rocket)
Arrugula, Garden Rocket, Gargeer, Rocket, Rocket Salad, Roka, Roquette, Rucola, Rugula, Salad Rocket and Tira what ever you want to call it is a bitter, aromatic green with a peppery mustard flavor. Topping with cheese will cut the bitterness.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 10 ounces mushrooms, quartered
- 1 red onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄3 cup vermouth or 1/3 cup white wine
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch chili pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried herbs (rosemary, thyme, oregano or parsley)
- 8 cups arugula, ripped into bite size pieces washed and spun dry
- grated cheese (optional)
- In a large pan heat oil over medium high heat. Add mushrooms, onions, and garlic stirring all the while cooking about 4 minutes the pan will be dry till the mushrooms release some liquid.
- Deglaze the pan with vermouth.
- Add salt, pepper flakes, herbs, nutmeg and arugula. Cook till wilted about 2-3 minutes.
- Top with cheese.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I do not have any knowledge on vermouths and I would like to make this recipe for dinner tonight. I did find sweet vermouth in our liquor cabinet and I do not have white wine. Do you think sweet vermouth would work for this recipe? I do not want to ruin my arugula by adding the wrong alcohol. Thank you.Replies 1
I was given a bag of the most beautiful arugula fresh from a local greenhouse. I've had arugula before and it was not one of my favorite greens, but these were wonderful, partly because they were so fresh. After reading about what you can do with arugula besides in salads, I thought it would be fun to try this. It was amazing! I was concerned the arugula would be more like spinach when cooked, but it held up well to being wilted and tasted much better than spinach. I had fresh thyme I used instead of dried herbs, and had sauvignon blanc on hand so in it went. I did not use cheese as after tasting it didn't think it needed it. Agree it would make a beautiful flavorful topping for chicken.3Replies 1