photo by Chef on the coast
- Ready In:
- 9hrs 20mins
- 2 (16 ounce) cans kidney beans
- 2 (10 3/4 ounce) cans tomato soup
- 1 quart water
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper (more if desired)
- 1 lb spicy bulk sausage (ground)
- 1 large potato, cut into cubes
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- Set your crock pot to low and add beans, tomato soup, water, onion and seasonings. Cook for one hour.
- Over medium high heat brown sausage in small skillet. Drain fat and place sausage on a plate that has been layered with paper towels. Let more grease get absorbed in paper towels than add sausage to the crock pot. Also add the potatoes and green pepper at this time. Continue to cook on low for 8 hours or until potatoes are tender.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
We really loved this hearty. I used hot Italian sausage and enjoyed the zing that it gave the soup. For some reason, my bell peppers and onions were still a little crunchy, even after cooking on low for about 9 hours. I think next time I will cook them with the sausage to soften them before adding them to the crock pot. I served this topped with fresh grated Parmesan cheese...delicious! **Made for 2019 Football Pool**
Made for KK's Recipe Tag Event. I made this with New York Style Sausage Companies Hot Italian Sausage, Next time will make it with one just a tad bit milder, but did not need to add the peppers this time. Out of 4 people this received 3 5star votes and my 4 star vote, sure I'd give it 5 if I hadn't used to spicy of sausage. We will be making this again, thank you for another great recipe. Sorry still no camera available to get a pic of just how pretty this came out.
My DH and I thought this soup was yummy. Unfortunately we are only two of 6. :( The boys weren't too keen on the beans/flavor. This was an easy recipe to put together. I did use dried beans - so had to soak those for a bit - but really enjoyed the smell as it simmered all afternoon. I just did it on the stove top. Paired this with homemade bread - and a satisfying fall dinner. Made for the September 2009 Aussie/NZ recipe swap.
Very good soup. I used my homecanned 'matter's instead of soup, and the soup turned out grea. Also used my homegrown kidney beans and cannellini frozen from last summer. I cooked this soup on stove top, in lieu of crockpot and sauted sausage,and veggies then adding the rest. Oh... yumm. I've been trying all tags with beans! Thanks for another good one, Lauralie. Tagged in zaar tag forum.
see 5 more reviews
I paired Bonnie G #2's "Recipe #275897" with this for dinner tonight and it was a match made in heaven! I am an authentic tomato girl (can't help it I grew up in an Italian home), so next time I might substitute one can of the tomato soup for crushed tomato. Very nice combination of flavors and textures. Thanks for posting! (Tagged in Stone Soup Game)