Sausage Bean Soup
photo by Bev I Am
- Ready In:
- 1 lb ground sweet Italian sausage
- 1 medium sweet onion, chopped
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup diced celery
- 1⁄2 cup diced carrot
- 1⁄2 cup diced bell pepper, red, green whatever
- 1 (28 ounce) can diced tomatoes, do NOT drain
- 3 -4 cups beef broth, depending how liquidy you like it
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (19 ounce) cannellini beans, rinse and drain, Progresso makes 19 oz size
- salt, as needed to taste
- In a large soup pot, brown the sausage with the onion, breaking up the sausage as it cooks. Drain off fat and rinse and drain again well.
- Return cooked drained sausage and onions to pot.
- Add the garlic, celery, carrots, bell pepper, undrained tomatoes, beef broth, sugar, oregano, basil, thyme, and pepper.
- Bring to a boil; reduce heat and gently simmer for 20-25 minutes or until veggies are tender.
- Stir in the rinsed and drained cannellini beans. Cook for an additional 5 minutes until heated through.
- Add salt, if needed, to taste.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!