Sausage and Apple Dutch Baby
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
Another news paper find
- Ready In:
- 3 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 lb loose breakfast-style pork sausage
- 3 medium apples, divided
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- maple syrup, to serve
- 3 medium apples, divided.
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- 2. In a blender, combine the eggs, flour, milk, yogurt, vanilla, cinnamon and salt. Blend until very smooth, then set aside. Alternatively, the batter can be made in a bowl using a whisk.
- 3. Coat a large cast-iron or oven-safe nonstick skillet with cooking spray, then heat it over medium-high. Add the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat, until just starting the brown, about 10 minutes.
- 4. Meanwhile, peel and core 2 apples, then cut them into 1/2-inch chunks. Add the cut apples and onion to the skillet, then saute until they are just tender, about 6 to 8 minutes. Spread the sausage-apple mixture evenly over the bottom of the skillet and remove the pan from the heat.
- 5.Core the remaining apple then cut it crosswise into very thin slices. A mandoline is best for this, but a food processor or careful knife work is fine, too.
- 6. Pour the batter evenly over the sausage-apple mixture. Tilt the pan as needed to ensure it spreads evenly in the pan. Arrange the apple slices over the top of the batter; it's fine if they overlap. Sprinkle the apples with the sugar, then bake for 20 minutes.
- Arrange the apple slices over the top of the batter; it’s fine if they overlap. Sprinkle the apples with the sugar, then bake for 20 minutes.
- 6. To serve, slice into wedges and drizzle with maple syrup.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION