Samosa Filling With Mashed Potatoes
- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
2 1/2 cups
- 2 cups mashed potatoes, preferably chunky & plain
- 1⁄2 cup cooked peas
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon coriander seed, coarsely pounded
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cumin seeds or 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fennel seed
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon garam masala powder
- 1 -2 tablespoon lemon juice (depending on your taste)
- 3 tablespoons cilantro, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons oil
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds, fennel seeds and pounded coriander seeds. If using ground cumin, use it later. When the seeds brown (they won't splutter), add ginger and stir for 10 seconds.
- Add the peas, followed by turmeric, chili powder, salt and cumin powder (if using). If the spices seem to start burning, sprinkle some water. Add the mashed potatoes. Stir well to mix. Saute until the mixture is dry.
- Lastly add garam masala powder and mix.
- Remove from heat. Mix in cilantro and lemon juice.
- Let cool and use in samosas.
- This mixture can be made without fennel seeds, if needed.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Totally delicious! I had this just as a side dish of "Indian" mashed potatoes with some tandoori chicken and it was really great, I couldn't stop eating it! I didn't have coriander seeds on hand so subbed 2 tsp ground coriander when adding the tumeric etc. Also cut back a bit on the chilli powder and used just 1 tab lemon juice. Thanks for an awesome recipe that has gone into my exclusive "five star keeper" file! :0)