Salted Caramel Sauce (Smitten Kitchen)
photo by MummaKat
- Ready In:
1 1/3 cups
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 ounces salted butter, the better you can get, the better it will taste
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream, plus
- 2 tablespoons heavy cream, at room temperature
- Melt the sugar over medium to moderately high heat in a larger pot than you think you’ll need – at least a two or three quart pot, whisking or stirring the sugar as it melts to ensure it heats evenly. Cook the liquefied sugar to a nice, dark copper color.
- Add the butter all at once and stir it in, before turning off the stove and pour in the heavy cream (The sauce will foam up quite a bit when you add it; this is why you want the larger pot.), whisking it until you get a smooth sauce.
- You can use it right away or pour it into a jar and store it in the fridge for up to two weeks. When you take it out, it will likely have thickened a bit but 60 seconds in the microwave brings it right back to pouring consistency.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!