Roasted Winter Squash With Browned Butter and Sage
photo by gailanng
- Ready In:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium winter squash, halved lengthwise and seeded (butternut, acorn, etc.)
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 6 medium fresh sage leaves, sliced thin
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- brown sugar
- Adjust an oven rack to the lower-middle position and heat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Brush the oil on the foil and the cut sides of the squash. Place squash halves face down.
- Roast until a skewer inserted in the squash meets no resistance, about 40-50 minutes.
- When the squash is almost done, melt the butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
- Add the sage and cook, swirling the pan occasionally, until the butter is golden brown and the sage is crisp, about 4 to 5 minutes. Remove the skillet from the heat.
- Remove the squash from the oven and turn cut-side up and season with salt and pepper.
- Drizzle or brush with the sage butter sauce and sprinkle with brown sugar. Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm just me, mother, grandmother...friend to many and a Louisianian. My Cajun and French Quarter Italian descent afforded me exposure to some of the best of foods. My passions are my family, decorating, cooking and gardening. Those very passions push me into constant awareness with always looking for something new to delight the senses, thus my favorite idiom...Inspire me, puuuullllllleeeeeeease! ...and I mean it, too. God Bless America!