Roasted Tomato and Fennel Soup
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 5mins
- Core tomatoes and cut in half lengthwise; arrange, cut side up, on foil lined rimmed baking sheet.
- In a small bowl, mix 2 tablespoons of the oil, garlic and half each of the salt and pepper; brush over tomatoes.
- Bake in 350°F oven until softened and shriveled and bottoms are browned, about 2 hours.
- Meanwhile, trim fronds from fennel bulb and reserve; cut off stalks and discard.
- Cut fennel in half lengthwise.
- Trim out and discard core; cut fennel into 1/2 inch cubes.
- In large saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil over medium heat; cook fennel, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 8 minutes.
- Add 1 1/2 cups water; reduce heat, cover and simmer until very tender, about 20 minutes.
- Pour into bowl.
- Add 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil into pan; cook onion over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and stock; bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Transfer tomato mixture to blender or food processor; puree until smooth.
- Return to pan.
- Stir in cooked fennel, basil and remaining salt and pepper.
- (Make ahead: let cool and refrigerate in airtight container for up to 2 days.) Heat until steaming, about 5 minutes.
- In bowl, whisk vinegar with remaining oil.
- Ladle soup into bowls; garnish with drizzle of vinegar mixture.
- Arrange reserved fronds over top.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The taste of this was marvellous, even if the soup was a little thin. I wonder if this was because of some confusion on how many tomatoes to use. I had about 20 plum tomatoes, but there is no way they weighed four pounds -- more like 1-1/2 pounds. Next time I would add a few more tomatoes or simmer a little longer just to make it a touch thicker.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>November 4th, 2013: Our community lost a wonderful friend when Dorothy passed away on October 24th, 2013. We are shocked and saddened by her passing and there is a thread for expressing your condolences.</p> <p>Mary at Food.com</p> <p><a href=http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=398284>http://www.food.com/bb/viewtopic.zsp?t=398284</a></p> <p> </p> <p>********************************************************************</p> <p>I live in the sunny okanogan valley - I am a retired Resort Services Director, love collecting receipes and cooking but am a diabetic so some times i can only collect </p> <p>Love traveling, own a timeshare, went to Portugal in the year 2000, this picture was taken there, so it's 9 years old, but the only decent one I have, I am not photogenic and hate having my picture taken!! <br />I've been enjoying lushious recipes from 'zaar for 9 years now, since January 2001. <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/Animation1.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /> <img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/berriesblinkie.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/4treasurehunt.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/purplechefhat.gif alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/chef3.jpg alt=Image hosted by Photobucket.com /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/FinishedJollyRoger_1.jpg border=0 alt=Image hosting by Photobucket.com /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/dragonspearls_1.jpg border=0 alt=Image hosting by Photobucket /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/FFF/completedbanner.gif alt= /> <br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/TasteofYellow.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Octoberevent.jpg alt= /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1535/cheesesticker.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/personal/FRENCH-foodfun.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/EditBeforeandAfterSTICKER.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e347/Saturn6666/Banners/Photo_Video_577111733_orig.jpg alt= /><img src=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/484938/Spelling-Bee-stick2jpg.jpg alt= /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/holidaylightssticker.jpg alt= /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/derf16/food%20photography%20series/Comfortstickercopysmall.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/photo-swap-7sticky.jpg alt= /><img src=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v204/derf16/food%20photography%20series/MuffinLovesticker.jpg alt= /><img src=http://www.recipezaar.com/members/home/1956/L%5B1%5D.F-stickJPEG.jpg alt= /><img src=http://img.villagephotos.com/p/2003-11/484938/MayFlowerssticker.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/TasteofYellowSTICKER.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/BBQlSTKR.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/CobblerPieTartSTICKER.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/CROCKPOTSTKR.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/FISHSEAFDSTICKER.jpg alt= /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j166/ZaarNicksMom/CookingSchoolHost1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/BeyondburgersST.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b280/carolinamoon21/Ingredients/Other/Elves-appreciationSTICKER.jpg alt= /></p>