Roasted Potatoes With Whole Garlic, Lemon and Oregano
photo by Brittney707
- Ready In:
3 pounds potatoes
- 3 lbs potatoes (use small if possible and cut into about 1-1/2 - 2 inch cubes)
- 1⁄2 cup olive oil (or more)
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted (no subs!)
- 1 whole bulb of garlic, separated into smaller cloves and skins removed (can use two whole bulbs if desired)
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano (rubbed between fingers, can increase to up to 1 tablespoon)
- 1 -2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice (no bottled please!)
- Set oven to 400 degrees.
- Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish.
- In a small cup or bowl, whisk together the oil and melted butter; add in dried oregano and mix well.
- Place the potatoes and whole garlic cloves in a large bowl.
- Pour the oil/butter mixture over the potatoes and the garlic; toss well to coat.
- Season with salt and pepper (you can use seasoning salt in place of regular salt, I most always do!) toss well to coat.
- Place the potatoes in the baking dish in a single layer, and bake for 15 minutes (if you are lucky enough to have a convection/roast setting on your oven, then use it for this recipe).
- Remove and add in the chicken stock; toss the potatoes to coat well, and place back in the oven for about 10 minutes more.
- Remove from the oven and sprinkle with fresh lemon juice; toss and place back in the oven for another 10-15 minutes more.
- **NOTE** if you like you can preheat the broiler, and broil the potatoes for 2-3 minutes or until golden brown, but that is optional.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Delicious! I was a little worried about the amount of garlic used, but it mellowed out quite a bit and gave the potatoes a lovely flavor. I loved the overall flavor of this; the combo of garlic, lemon, and oregano was perfect. I would cut down a bit on the oil next time as there was plenty of liquid. The cooking time was a little off for me. I cooked them 5 minutes longer than listed and they were still not as soft as I would like, even with 1 inch pieces. I will increase the cooking time by another 10 minutes next time. Thanks for posting!
see 6 more reviews