- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
For the rhubarb mix
- 8 cups fresh rhubarb, cut into 1 to 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 1⁄2 - 3 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup ginger ale
- 1⁄2 cup cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon peeled grated gingerroot
For the topping
- 1 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1⁄2 cup unbleached white flour
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Preheat the oven to 350*F. Toss the rhubarb, sugar, gingerale, cornstarch and ginger together in a large bowl, moistening all the ingredients and making sure the cornstarch is dissolved.
- Place in a buttered 8 by 11 inch baking pan.
- Blend all of the topping ingredients together in a bowl and spoon over the rhubarb mixture, completely covering it.
- Bake for 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until the topping is golden and the edges are quite bubbly.
- Serve warm in bowls with ginger ice cream if desired, or pouring cream. Yumm!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was so good. I love rhubarb too and the spices and the crunchy top were wonderful. I made it in the 8 by 11 inch pan and had a lot of boil over so next time, I'll make it in a 9 by 13 inch pan. I also combined the sugar and cornstarch together with a whisk before adding the rest of the ingredients, it worked well, no lumps of cornstarch.