Restaurant Style Mexican Rice
I have tried many recipes trying to duplicate the dry Mexican rice you get at the restaurant. After a lot of tweaking this hits the mark. My hubby loved it and said this is the real deal. Hope you enjoy it!
- Ready In:
- 1 cup rice
- 2 -3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup onion
- 1 small jalapeno, diced (from a jar)
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup salsa, pureed
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Heat olive oil in a sauce pan. Add rice and fry for about five minutes. Stir occasionally so it doesn't stick. Add onion, garlic, and jalapeno and cook until onion is tender.
- Add chicken broth and salsa. Bring to a boil. Once it boils, turn heat down to low and cook for 20 minutes. Do not lift lid while cooking!
- When done cooking, remove from heat and fluff with fork. Enjoy!
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
Made for Spring PAC 2013 & this rice is so delicious! I do think it would be helpful if the type of rice was specified as that can change the texture & cooking time. I used a med-heat salsa & Basmati rice as I had it on-hand & the Arborio variety would result in a stickier rice than the recipe seemed to target. I confess I was a bad girl. I lifted the lid to ck that all was going well, felt that more liquid was needed & added approx 2 oz of extra broth. This is an easy-fix that would be ideal to accompany any Tex-Mex fare. The heat-level can be adjusted as desired by the jalapeno & salsa if a milder & more kid-friendly version is desired. Tex-Mex fare is surprisingly popular here in Iceland & often requested by our guests, so I am sure this rice will revisit our dining table on those occasions & for us in between them. Thx for sharing this recipe w/us.
Wow! This brought back memories of the rice I used to make when I was the cook in a small family owned mexican restaurant. I didn't use the jalapeno(family preference) and added 1 tsp. cumin. I didn't puree the salsa (we like the chunks) but did everything else as directed. I served this with tacos and refried beans. We totally loved the rice. Thanks so much for posting this great recipe. This is going into my tried and true file and I'll be making this often.