Red wine essence
- Ready In:
- 3hrs 45mins
- 1 medium onion, coarsley chopped
- 1 carrot, coarsley chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 celery rib, coarsley chopped
- 1 apple, coarsley chopped
- 2 teaspoons flavorless vegetable oil
- 2 (750 ml) bottles dry red wine
- 1 (750 ml) bottle ruby port
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth or 1 cup sodium-free chicken broth
- In a heavy large saucepan, combine onion.
- carrot, celery, garlic, apple and oil.
- Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables have begun to release their juices, about 8 minutes.
- Uncover, increase heat to moderate, and saute vegetables, stirring frequently, until caramelizes to a deep golden brown.
- Add wine and port, increase heat to high and bring to a boil.
- Turn heat down to a low boil and reduce wine to about 1 cup.
- This will take about 2 hours.
- Strain wine into a small saucepan and add chicken broth.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and cook until reduced to 1 cup, about 45 minutes longer.
- (for a more concentrated sauce, you can reduce to 1/2 cup).
- Serve sauce hot.
- Sauce will keep refrigerated for 1 month.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!