Red & Black Beans And Rice
I get a lot of requests for this - it's addictive!
- Ready In:
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell peppers or 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 -3 clove garlic, grated or chopped
- 2 tablespoons prepared salsa or 2 tablespoons diced tomatoes
- 1 can goya red beans or 1 can pink beans, undrained
- 1 can goya black beans, undrained
- 1 packet goya sazon goya
- hot cooked rice
- *note:If you or your family are sensitive to MSG, don't use Sazon!
- You can substitute 1 tsp ground cumin, plus some garlic salt, if needed.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium heat.
- Sauté onion and pepper until onion starts to look translucent.
- Add garlic and tomato.
- Stir in both cans of beans and heat to just boiling.
- Reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Stir in Sazon (or alternate seasoning).
- Serve over rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
Join The Conversation
What a great recipe! I was looking for something to throw together on a lazy weekend day at home. I had all the ingredients on hand except bell pepper, and I also didn't have any canned green chiles, so I ended up just putting in a bit more chunky salsa and cooking it down a bit longer. Still turned out great! Leftovers were super tasty and I will be making this again!
Yum! I did tweak it a bit; added some tomato sauce to "loosen it up" and finely chopped carrot to sneak in some extra veggies without anyone knowing. thanks for the idea on using cumin instead of sazon (I was out of it). This was super easy, and tasted great. My Puerto Rican mom would have been proud. One could easily add a small amount of chorizo or other sausage for those who need some meat.