Baked Chicken and Rice With Black Beans
I loved my grandma's chicken and rice, but this takes it to another level. A comforting casserole that is mildly seasoned, but could easily be spiced up as you prefer. From the February 2009 Southern Living magazine, attributed to Meredith Baldwin of Lawrenceville, Illinois.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 1 (10 ounce) package yellow rice mix
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 2 cups grated monterey jack cheese, divided
- Prepare rice according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, saute onions, bell pepper, and carrot in hot oil in a large skillet over medium heat 10 minutes or until tender.
- Preheat oven to 350F and lightly grease a 3-qt. or 13- x 9-inch baking dish.
- Combine hot cooked rice, onion mixture, beans, diced tomatoes and chiles, and 1 1/2 cups cheese in a large bowl (I use the skillet instead).
- Spoon into the prepared baking dish and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese.
- Cover and bake for 20 to 30 minutes, uncover and bake 5 to10 minutes or until cheese is melted.