Real Food Sloppy Joes
photo by Sassy J
- Ready In:
- 6hrs 30mins
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large yellow onion, minced
- 1 large green bell pepper, minced
- 3 medium celery ribs, minced
- 2⁄3 cup tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup red wine vinegar
- 1⁄3 cup molasses
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons mild paprika
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 3 teaspoons prepared mustard, to taste
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- salt, to taste
- 8 toasted hamburger buns
- Use 4-5 1/2 quart slow cooker.
- Warm a large skillet over medium heat for a few minutes, then pour in the oil and swirl it around to coat the hot surface.
- Crumble the ground beef into the skillet; cook, stirring often, until well browned, between 4-8 minutes.
- Use a slotted spoon to get the ground beef into the slow cooker.
- Stir in onions, bell peppers, celery, tomato paste, vinegar, molasses, paprika, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, mustard, and pepper until the tomato paste is dissolved.
- Cover and cook on low for 6 hours, or until the vegetables have almost melted into the thickened sauce. Season to taste with salt.
- Serve by spooning the spiced beef mixture into the buns.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!