Raspberry-Lemon Layer Loaf
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 2⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons grated lemons, zest of
- 1⁄2 cup seedless raspberry jam (or your favorite flavor)
- Preheat oven to 325*F.
- Grease and flour a 9x5x3" loaf pan.
- In a larger bowl, cream together the butter and sugar; blend well.
- Blend in the eggs.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, and salt; gradually add to the butter mixture alternately with the milk.
- Blend well; stir in the lemon juice and zest.
- Pour 1/2 the batter into the prepared pan; carefully spread the jam over the top.
- Pour the remaining batter over the jam, being careful not to disturb it.
- Bake at 325*F.
- for 50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan on a wire rack; intvert and cool completely.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I made this yesterday in the afternoon. This is tasty, but really very messy. Because of the jam being added in separate layers, the loaf took an extra hour to bake in my AMC Dutch Oven. Normally, if I would've followed my instincts(which I really should have), I would add the jam to the rest of the mixture while mixing in all the ingredients. When I removed this from my loaf tin, it was very messy, but very yummy all the same. My friends' enjoyed it on its own - the jam served the purpose of glaze;-) Thanks for sharing the recipe, but I really recommend adding the jam to the rest of the batter while mixing everything together. That way, not only will the yellow and red colours blend beautifully, but also, the loaf will be ready faster and will not be messy like it has been otherwise.