- Ready In:
- 3hrs 20mins
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, scraped and finely chopped
- 5 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 lb ground veal
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1⁄2 lb ground beef
- 1⁄4 lb pancetta, minced
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 6 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup white wine
- 2 cups beef stock
- salt and pepper
- in a large heavy pot heat oil and butter.
- add onions, celery, carrots, garlic and cook until vegetables are translucent.
- add the meats and stir, cooking until no longer pink 10-15 minutes.
- drain excess fat from pan and return to heat.
- add milk and cook until almost dry, about 10 minutes.
- add tomatoes and herbs and simmer about 15 minutes.
- add wine and broth, bring to a boil.
- lower to simmer, and cook partially covered for 2 1/2 hrs, stirring every 30 minutes.
- season with salt and pepper to taste.
Join The Conversation