"Bite Back" Pickled Onions
photo by Yorky1000
- Ready In:
- 720hrs 30mins
- 25 small onions (or enough to fit tightly in a 1 litre jar)
- 400 ml white vinegar
- 4 -6 fresh red chilies, slotted
- 6 garlic cloves, roughly chopped
- 10 black peppercorns
- Peel the onions, wash and then soak in brine overnight.
- Remove the onions from the brine and wash thoroughly.
- Dry the onions individually with kitchen paper and keep aside.
- After 15 minutes, dry the onions again - keep aside.
- After a further 15 minutes, dry the onions again.
- Continue drying the onions until they have stopped "sweating".
- Systematically fill a sealable 1 litre jar with the onions so that they are tightly packed.
- Add the slotted chilies, peppercorns and garlic.
- Fill up the jar with vinegar until all the onions are covered and seal.
- Place the jar in a dark cupboard.
- After 2 or 3 days, check the vinegar level and add more if required.
- Keep the jar in the dark cupboard for at least 4 weeks, preferably longer.
- 12 hours prior to eating, transfer to the refridgerator.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!