Quick Skillet Black Beans and Rice
This easy, delicious dish is a great way to get healthy whole-grains and fiber into your diet. It could be a vegetarian or meatless main dish or even a side dish. It is simple to prepare and quick. If you like more spice, add a little cayenne.
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, undrained
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained (I like Mexican or Italian style)
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 1⁄2 cups instant brown rice, uncooked
- In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high.
- Add onion and cook about 3 minutes until tender.
- Stir in remaining ingredients EXCEPT rice.
- Bring to a boil then stir in rice.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and let stand 5 minutes before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
I was expecting a little more flavor in the dish with all the spices, but I found it to be a little bland. I used Italian style tomatoes, and next time will try a little more or different types of seasoning. Very easy to make and healthy! I had to cook the rice for 10-12 minutes over heat rather than 5 and still found uncooked rice. Good with tabasco sauce! Thanks for sharing!Reply