Queso Fundido (Mark Bittman)
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
The Best Recipes in the World
- Ready In:
- 1 small fresh chili pepper, preferably serrano
- 1 tablespoon oil (neutral oil like corn or grapeseed)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1⁄2 lb mexican chorizo sausage, casing removed and crumbled
- 1 lb melting cheese (queso asadero, Chihuahua, Menonita, Monterey Jack, or mozzarella)
- corn tortillas or flour tortilla, warmed
- Preheat oven to 375°; roast chile in a dry skillet over medium heat (or over an open flame), turning to brown on all sides; cool it, then peel, seed, stem, and chop.
- Liberally butter a 9-inch gratin dish or similar baking dish and put it in the oven.
- Meanwhile, add the oil to a large skillet; turn heat to med-high.
- Add in onion; cook/stir occasionally, until translucent, 3-5 minutes.
- Add in the chile and chorizo; cook/stir occasionally, until the choirzo is cooked through, about 5 minutes; drain oil from pan.
- Layer the cheese across the bottom of the heated gratin dish and sprinkle the chorizo mixture on top.
- Bake until the cheese melts, about 10 minutes.
- Scoop the hot melted cheese and chorizo into warm tortillas and serve.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION