Pumpernickel Sausage Stuffing
photo by Motley Oklahoman
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 lb chicken-apple sausages, chopped
- 2 large celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 loaf pumpernickel bread, cut into 1-inch cubes and dried (1 pound)
- 1 sleeve multi-grain saltine crackers, crushed (4 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups stock (vegetable, chicken or turkey)
- 1⁄4 cup flat leaf parsley, chopped
- kosher salt
- ground pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°. In a large skillet, melt the butter over medium heat, then add the sausage and cook for 5 minutes. Add the celery and onion and cook until the vegetables are tender and the meat is browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl and let cool.
- Add the bread cubes, crackers, thyme, eggs, stock and parsley to the bowl and mix well. The mixture should be moist but not soggy; add a little more stock if you like your stuffing wetter. Season the stuffing with salt and pepper. Place in a 9-by-13-inch buttered baking dish and bake for 1 hour. (To keep the stuffing moist, cover the top loosely with foil while it bakes.).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!