Potato and Wild Leek Soup
Leeks (some call them "ramps" ) grow wild here in the foothills of the Alleghenies. I adpated this from a recipe that I found online. The ingredient list below says "ramps" because Recipezaar kept changing it from "wild leeks" to "leek" which is a completely different vegetable.
- Ready In:
- 1 large-bunch ramps (wild leeks-recipezaar wouldn't recognize it)
- 3 lbs potatoes
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups water
- 2 cups milk
- 4 bouillon cubes (vegetarian chicken flavored)
- pepper, freshly ground to taste
- Scrub and dice potatoes, skin and all.
- Melt butter in a 5 quart pot, add diced potatoes and salt and saute till lightly golden.
- Add water and bouillon cubes, simmer.
- Wash and trim the leeks.
- Using kitchen shears snip half of of the leeks into small pieces and add to the pot.
- Simmer till potatoes are tender.
- Blend half the soup with a stick blender or in a regular blender till creamy and thick. Add back into the pot.
- Add milk slowly. Heat till once again hot but not boiling.
- Snip the remaing leeks into the pot, do not boil, just keep warm.