Pineapple Pacific Potluck
I got this recipe from the Toronto Star Newspaper about 25 years ago. This is a long standing family favourite. Very tasty and easy to make.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 lbs lean ground beef
- 1 large sweet onion, grated
- 2 eggs
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons soya sauce
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 (14 ounce) can pineapple chunks (save juice)
- 2 ounces unsweetened pineapple juice
- 1⁄2 cup white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cornstarch
- 1⁄2 cup cider vinegar
- 10 ounces frozen peas or 10 ounces canned peas
- cooked long-grain jasmine rice
- Mix ground beef, onions, eggs, salt, pepper and 1/2 tablespoon of soya sauce together.
- Shape mixture into 32 small balls.
- Dip meatballs in soya sauce to coat.
- Add any remaining soya sauce to 2 tbsp oil in frying pan and brown meatballs gently.
- Place browned meatballs in a 10 cup baking dish.
- Drain syrup from pineapple chunks and combine with pineapple juice.
- Mix together sugar, cornstarch and 1/2 tsp salt.
- Stir in juice mixture and vinegar.
- Mix well.
- Cook juice mixture in clean pot, stirring constantly until the sauce thickens and boils. The sauce thickens very quickly.
- Combine pineapple chunks and peas with the meatballs in dish.
- Pour sauce over the meatballs and cover.
- Bake in a 350 degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Serve ontop of cooked rice.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
We loved this dish, even my husband who is very picky! The taste is wonderful, not too sweet and just the right amount of soy sauce. It's pretty enough for company too. The only change I would make is to add the peas right at the end next time, so they stay a little crisper and brighter. I used fresh pineapple and a small can of unsweetend pineapple juice. Thank you so much Baby Kato, this is going into my family favorites cookbook!Reply
see 1 more