Pickled Fish -- Shishamo (Or Herring)
photo by milliwuu
- Ready In:
- 450 g fish (Japanese Shishamo whole fish slightly salted,10 small or 8 large)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 bay leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander seed
- 1 dash cinnamon (or 1/8 tsp)
- 1 dash nutmeg (or 1/8 tsp)
- 1 dash clove (or 1/8 tsp)
- 4 tablespoons water
- 10 tablespoons white vinegar
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 large sprigs fresh dill
- 1 large sprigs fresh coriander
- COOK FISH---Bake 15 minutes at 180C (or 350F) till cooked through (light brown.)
- COOK ONION---While fish is baking, in a small pot with small fire, put in oil, onion, salt, pepper, bay leaves, corriander seed, cinnamon, nutmeg and clove, and cook till onion is medium tender.
- MAKE MARINADE---cool the onion a little bit then stir in water, vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, dijong mustard, fresh dill, and fresh coriander.
- PACK---In a container, place fish and onions in layers. Add more water if fish is not immersed in liquid. Store in fridge 24hrs before serving. Will keep at least 10 days.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!