photo by Soma Sengupta
- Ready In:
- 2 cups fresh basil leaves, packed
- 1⁄2 cup freshly grated romano cheese (about 2 oz, Romano gives a stronger sharper flavor) or 1/2 cup parmesan-reggiano cheese (about 2 oz, Romano gives a stronger sharper flavor)
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1⁄3 cup pine nuts
- 3 garlic cloves, minced (about 3 teaspoons)
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- In a food processor: Place the basil leaves and pine nuts into the bowl of a food processor and pulse a several times. Add the garlic and Parmesan or Romano cheese and pulse several times more. Scrape down the sides of the food processor with a rubber spatula. While the food processor is running, slowly add the olive oil in a steady small stream. Occasionally stop to scrape down the sides of the food processor.
- In a mortar: Place pine nuts, basil, garlic and salt in the mortar and grind with a pestle until paste. Add cheeses and drizzle in olive oil, beating with a wooden spoon.
- Store in jars, topped with a very thin coating of extra virgin olive oil to just cover the pesto. Or, line ice cube trays with oiled plastic wrap & fill with pesto to freeze.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!