Peruvian-Style Roast Chicken With Sweet Onions
MAKE IT SHINE! ADD YOUR PHOTO
This wonderfully aromatic chicken dish is short on prep and big on flavor. It’s also a great dish to make ahead the day before and reheat — it’s even tastier after the flavors meld. Serve with rice and salad. From Whole Foods Market.
- Ready In:
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons paprika
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons fine sea salt
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons ground black pepper
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons canola oil
- 2 large vidalia onions, peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 bell peppers, sliced into thick chunks
- 1 chicken, cut into 8 serving pieces
- 1 lemon, sliced
- Heat oven to 425°F Grease a 9 x 13-inch roasting pan and set aside.
- In a small bowl, combine paprika, cumin, salt, pepper, garlic, vinegar and oil to make a paste.
- Place onions in a large bowl and toss with 2 tablespoons of the paste. Rub chicken pieces with remaining paste and place in pan, then cover with onions, peppers and lemon. Roast until chicken is cooked through and onions are very tender, about 35 minutes.
- Spoon pan juices over the entire mixture halfway through roasting.
- Remove chicken from oven and let rest 5 minutes before serving.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
RECIPE MADE WITH LOVE BY
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Made this tonight for dinner, followed the recipe without changes. Terrific! I did add green olives to the plate, because I thought they would be perfect with the other flavors, and that worked so well that I will add olives to the baking pan next time I make it. And, there will be a next time! Used boneless thighs because they were on sale today at the food store. Fabulous.Reply
I love this recipe!! I originally got it off of the Whole Foods site and was going to post it here, but found out someone beat me to it. There are a couple of things that I do differently. I use a large pack of all chicken thighs (usually about 10 thighs total) and I place the onions in the roasting pan first, then layer the chicken, peppers and lemons. I cook my thighs about 45 minutes total. I have also subbed thinly sliced orange for the lemon with excellent results. Goes great with roasted purple potatoes.1Reply