Foolproof Roast Chicken Dinner
photo by Jonathan Melendez
- Ready In:
- 1hr 45mins
- 1⁄2 lb shallot, skin on (about 6 small)
- 1 lb watermelon radishes (skin on) or 1 lb and turnip, cut into 1-inch wedges (skin on)
- 1 sweet potato, cut into 1-inch slices on the bias (about 12 ounces)
- 1⁄2 large fennel bulb, in 2-inch wedges
- 4 medium carrots, peeled, 8 ounces
- 8 sprigs thyme
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
- one high-quality chicken (3 1/2 pound)
- 3 tablespoons butter, frozen, thinly sliced
- 1 head garlic, halved crosswise
- 1 lemon, in wedges, for serving
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F with a rack in the upper third of oven.
- Place shallots, radishes and/or turnips, sweet potato, fennel, carrots, and 4 sprigs thyme on a sheet pan. Drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Toss well to coat.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons salt and 1 tablespoon pepper. Dry chicken thoroughly with paper towels. Using your fingers, slide beneath skin of breast, thighs, and drumsticks, to ease in seasoning. Push slices of butter under breast of chicken. Season chicken thoroughly with salt and pepper mix, being sure to season under the skin of the breast and legs, inside the cavity, and on the underside of the bird. Stuff garlic and remaining thyme sprigs in the cavity.
- Place chicken on top of vegetables on sheet pan and transfer to oven.
- Roast until vegetables are charred and chicken is cooked through and crispy, about 1 hour 10 minutes, rotating sheet pan and flipping vegetables halfway through roasting. Serve with lemon wedges.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
If I would put the chicken AND the veggies in the oven at 450 deg. the veg would be burned but the chicken would be done. Too hot and too long for the vegetables. I omitted the lemon, watermelon radishes and added parsnips, turnips, carrots. cauliflower, broccoli. I started the chicken long before the vegetables and then added the veg. under the chicken. My oven is pretty accurate as I have tested it on occasion.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hungry for good food AND great conversation? Food.com boasts a smorgasbord of over 500,000 recipes and a community-inspired activity feed that allows our users to add reviews, tweaks, questions and photos to their favorite recipes. Grab a plate and join the fun!