Perfect Calamari - Salt Squid
photo by CareyJamesBalboa
- Ready In:
- 1 lb squid (flat parts, purchase day of for freshness)
- 1 (8 ounce) bag rice flour
- 1 sea salt (Get Pink Himalayan grinders that you grind yourself.)
- 1 black pepper (grinder)
- 2 (24 ounce) bottles grapeseed oil (high smoke point, does not taint the flavor)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar mayonnaise (for the dipping sauce)
- 1 (8 ounce) jar chili-garlic sauce (for the dipping sauce)
- As with most seafood, first take it back to where it was born, rinse it in cold salty ice water. (sea salt only) This will revive it.
- Cut up calamari into 1/2 inch circle strips.
- Be careful to get the little plastic looking particles out that can be found naturally in squid.
- Mix Rice Flour in a bowl with fresh ground Pink Himalayan Sea Salt and fresh ground Pepper Medley. Be careful to not get the mix too salty.
- Get the grinders that you grind yourself.
- Dip squid into the rice flour mix to get them well coated. Make sure to get the inside too.
- 1:30-2:00 min frying time maximum at about 350-400 degrees in grape seed oil. Only fry small handfuls of calamari at a time.
- The grape seed oil has a really high smoke point and won't burn, it also won't change the flavor of your seafood.
- Set the temp on a little home deep fryer to 400.
- Use a thermometer to wait until you have perfect temperature.
To make the pink spicy sauce:
- mix mayonnaise and hot chili garlic sauce vietnamese style together to make the pink creamy chili dip. equal ratios is usually good or add more spicy chili if you like it hot!
- Bam! get ready for a mouthgasm!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!