Peanut Butter and Jelly Bread Pudding
- Ready In:
- cooking spray
- 8 slices whole wheat bread
- 1⁄2 cup smooth peanut butter
- 1⁄4 cup jam, any flavor
- 1⁄2 cup dried fruit, your choice (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips (optional)
- 5 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice or 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- maple syrup, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400ºF.
- Lightly coat a 9x9" baking dish with cooking spray.
- Using the bread, peanut butter and jam/jelly, make 4 sandwiches.
- Cut each sandwich into quarters, then cut each quarter into 4 more pieces.
- Arrange the pieces in the baking pan. They should be slightly jumbled.
- If using, scatter the chocolate chips or dried fruit among the sandwich pieces.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk and pumpkin pie spice (or cinnamon).
- Pour the egg mixture over the sandwich pieces.
- Press the bread gently with a fork to help it absorb the liquid.
- Bake for 20-25 min, or until egg is nearly set.
- Remove the pan from the oven, and scatter the top of the pudding with the sugar.
- Increase the oven to broil, and cook until the sugar on top begins to caramelize, about 1 minute Watch it closely to prevent burning.
- Serve drizzled with maple syrup.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This was quite good. There was a very subtle peanut butter flavor, but we really couldn't taste the jam. I used low sugar jam and I'm not sure if that the problem. It puffed up nicely in the oven. You definitely need to watch when you do the final broiling of the sugar topping. It goes really fast. (I managed to set off my son's smoke detector when I baked this at his house!) We served it hot right out of the oven, but my daughter said she almost liked it better cold the next day. Thanks for posting such a unique bread pudding recipe.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"> Hi! My name is Robin, and welcome to my about me page. I will try to be as brief as possible, but I tend to be long winded. If you get bored at anytime, feel free to move on...I won't be offended. I was born in the great city of New Orleans, but have had the pleasure of travelling and living all over the place. My parents moved to Lafayette, Louisiana when I started high school. After high school, I was a nanny and lived in England (London). I miss it A LOT!! England, not the being a nanny part. I lived and got married in California (Los Angeles), but we moved back to Lafayette to be closer to family. Well, to make a long story short, things didn't work out and we got a D-I-V-O-R-C-E!!! After that, I packed up and moved to Texas (Beaumont). I met the love of my life (Toby) on-line - believe it or not - and he whisked me away to Kentucky (Louisville). Which is where I lay my head and call home now. I absolutely love it here!! I love having seasons!! The trees changing colors in Fall and snow in the Winter, along with a BEAUTIFUL Spring and HOT Summer!! We live in the house Toby grew up in, and are about to start doing some MUCH needed renovations! (I DEMAND A BIGGER KITCHEN!!) I have recently (this past year) started growing my own herbs. I threw in a few tomato plants for good measure :D. Now I have the bug!! I want more more MORE!! So Toby has so lovingly decided to make me an actual garden. This way I can grow all sorts of fun stuff!! I can't wait!! I love fresh home grown veggies and stuff!! And NOTHING beats fresh herbs!!! Toby has a son (Zach, 11) from a previous marriage. I guess that would make me the wicked stepmom.....I hope not!!! We also have in our lovely family 2 dogs (Daisy, a Cockapoo who runs the house and Missy, a Black Lab), a cat (Mystery), and a ferret (Flower). I am a stay at home stepmom (that is my job), so I have all day to cook and look up different recipes. I LOVE it!! I have figured out that I can cook twice as much if I give half of what I cook away....LOL!! This means Toby's business partner and his wife eat just as well as we do!! They have told me on many occasions, that if I can't take Toby anymore they will add on to their house to make room for me. All I have to do is cook!! LOL!! My parents are foodies and I TOTALLY blame them for my passion for food!! I will try anything once. I have found that I really do like some things I "thought" I hated. Although, I do still HATE (green)peas!! Here is my rating key for reviews: ***** = HEAVEN - I would not change a thing!! **** = Was VERY good, but would make a few changes *** = Not a bad recipe, but would make quite a few changes if I made it again ** = Would have to make a lot of changes to enjoy * = Didn't enjoy it at all, and will probably not make again.