Peach Custard Squares
photo by Pneuma
- Ready In:
Crust and Fruit
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup butter (softened)
- 29 ounces sliced peaches (one 29 ounce can sliced peaches, drained well, RESERVE 1/2 cup peach syrup for custard)
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup reserved peach syrup
- 1 egg (slightly beaten)
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, or 350 degrees for Pyrex.
- In a 1 1/2 quart bowl, combine flour, salt, and butter with a pastry blender until mixture is like a coarse meal.
- With the back of a spoon, press flour mixture onto the bottom and halfway up the sides of a buttered 8-inch square dish or pan.
- Arrange well drained peach slices over crust, sprinkle with sugar mixed with cinnamon, and bake at 375 for 20 minutes.
- Mix 1/2 cup peach syrup, 1 beaten egg, and 1 cup evaporated milk; pour over fruit in crust.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until custard is firm except in the center. Center will become firm upon standing.
- Serve warm or cold ~ serves 9.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
As usual a quick recipe and yet still delicious! We haven't been cooking much lately last week and at times would eat desserts instead. Not that we don't mind as we enjoyed it. lol I garnished some peaches on top of the custard squares after it was baked. Everytime I'd take it away from DH, he'd get it back! I used sugar substitute in baking this so we wouldn't feel guilty much. Thanks, baby KUW! Made for PAC fall 2008.