Pea Soup With Ham
photo by Boomette
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
10 1 cup servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups yellow onions, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb split peas, picked over and rinsed
- 8 cups fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 1 lb ham steak, cut into 1 inch pieces
- hot sauce (optional)
- In a large soup pot over medium-high heat, heat the oil.
- Add the onions.
- Season with salt, pepper, crushed red pepper.
- Saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the garlic, bay leaf, and split peas and cook, stirring for 1 minute.
- Add the broth and ham.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium, and simmer stirring occasionally, for 1 hour or more, until the peas are tender.
- Remove from the heat and let cool slightly.
- Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- Add the milk and, using a hand-held blender or potato masher, process until smooth.
- Add the hot sauce if desired and serve hot.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made for Pick A Chef Spring 2009. This pea soup certainly was a classic. We love split pea soup and this will now be one of our favorites. I followed the recipe exactly (didn't use the optional hot sauce) and was so pleased with the results. I think the milk really added a special touch, making the soup extra creamy. I did use an immersion blender, but only for a little while. We still like bits of ham and split peas remain in the soup. Great recipe! Thank you!!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Given name is Lynne, married, mom of three beautiful and wonderful children, B-G-G - ages (in 11/2008) 12, 7, and 3. I work full time, so I have a very busy life. DH won't cook, so I'm always looking for 30 minute meals (and not of the Rachel Ray type - most of hers are too much work!). <br /> <br /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Participation.jpg alt= /><img src=http://i250.photobucket.com/albums/gg271/MrsTeny/Permanent%20Collection/PACSpring09Iwasadopted.jpg alt= /></p>