Patricia's Whole Wheat Applesauce Bread
photo by worldmom12
- Ready In:
- 4hrs 35mins
- 1 (23 ounce) jar applesauce
- 2 1⁄2 cups hot water
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons salt
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 1⁄2 teaspoons yeast (2 packages)
- 1⁄2 cup water, lukewarm (110-115)
- 6 cups whole wheat flour
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- Mix applesauce, hot water, brown sugar, salt and oil in mixer bowl.
- Add wheat flour and mix long enough to incorporate ingredients. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Soften yeast in lukewarm water. Add to wheat flour mixture and mix to incorporate.
- Add white flour, one cup at a time, mix by hand.
- Turn out onto a floured surface and knead for about 10 minutes.
- Let dough ball rise in an oiled bowl covered with oiled plastic wrap in a warm place for about two hours.
- Punch down dough. Let rest ten minutes.
- Shape into 4 loaves (I use a food scale to get them the same size) and put into sprayed/greased loaf pans.
- Cover with oiled plastic wrap and let rise in a warm place for about one hour. Preheat oven to 350.Bake 30-40 minutes. Cover with foil for last ten minutes to prevent over-browning.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!