photo by mejese313
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
1 pie crust
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 -5 tablespoons ice water
- Blend together flour, butter, sugar, and salt in a bowl with your fingertips or a pastry blender (or pulse in a food processor) just until mixture resembles coarse meal with some small (roughly pea-size) butter lumps. Drizzle 3 tablespoons ice water evenly over mixture and gently stir with a fork (or pulse) until incorporated.
- Squeeze a small handful of dough: If it doesn’t hold together, add more ice water, 1/2 tablespoon at a time, stirring (or pulsing) until incorporated. Do not overwork dough, or pastry will be tough.
- Gather all dough together with pastry scraper. Press into a ball, then flatten into a 5-inch disk.
- Wrap dough in plastic wrap and chill until firm, at least 1 hour.
- If you’re making two desserts that call for this pastry dough, you can make a double batch.
- Pastry dough can be chilled up to 2 days or frozen, wrapped well, up to 3 months.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!