Pasta With Swiss Chard Bacon and Lemony Ricotta
photo by jswinks
- Ready In:
- 1 lb corkscrew macaroni
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 slices bacon, coarsely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 bunch swiss chard, cleaned and coarsely chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. When the water comes to a boil, add salt and cook the pasta al dente.
- While the pasta cooks, preheat a large skillet over moderate heat. Add the olive oil and bacon, and cook until the bacon crisps, about 3 minutes.
- To the bacon add the garlic, onions, salt, pepper and red pepper flakes and cook, stirring frequently, for 5 minutes or until the onions are lightly caramelized.
- Add the chopped Swiss chard, toss to coat, and wilt the chard down.
- Turn the heat up to high and add the chicken stock. When the liquid comes to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer for 6 to 7 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the ricotta with the lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Place ¼ cup of the ricotta mixture in the bottom of 4 bowls. Set aside.
- Add the lemon juice to the Swiss chard. Drain the pasta well and toss with the greens for a minute to let the juices absorb into the pasta.
- Turn the heat off and add the grated Parmesan cheese and toss to distribute. Serve immediately, dishing it up on top of the ricotta cheese. Stir before eating.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
The flavors of this were different, and yummy! I omitted the olive oil (bacon has enough grease...I actually removed most of the grease before adding the chard, and it was still plenty to wilt it). My husband thought it was good without the ricotta (not a huge fan of it), so it's good either way! The sauce is a little runny, but I used a slotted spoon to serve it and it was ok. I'm always looking for ways to use chard, and this will be made again!
We really enjoyed this unusual dish. It's quick to prepare and tasted great. I've never used swiss chard before but we really liked it. I used turkey bacon and low fat ricotta to keep the calories and saturated fat in check. Next time I'll use just a half cup of broth to keep the finished sauce from being runny.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>My rating system: (I don't like giving bad reviews, so if I don't like it, I'll just not review it.) <br /><br />5 Stars OMG, this is one of the most amazing things I've ever eaten! I can't stop eating it, and I've eaten myself into a food coma. <br /><br />4 Stars The recipe is wonderful as is. I can't think of a single improvement and I will most likely make it again. <br /><br />3 Stars This needed a little *something*something*. I might make it again, but will add my own improvements if I do. <br /><br />I love to eat! And I love to cook. I tend to take over the kitchen when I get in there. Even the dog knows the command get outta my kitchen! LOL. Cooking for other people and trying new recipes or foods is FUN! I have a small (but growing quickly!!) cookbook collection and one of my favorite things to do is to read recipes and plan meals. Rachael Ray, Horn of the Moon and Moosewood are favorites of mine. <br /><br />We spend a lot of time outdoors camping, hiking and backpacking. Yup. I cook in the woods too! I've made deals with my hiking buddies... If they carry in my food, I'll cook for them. I recently published a backpacking cookbook. Check out the website: http://www.onepanwonders.com <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/200_PACpic.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/projects/pacbanner.jpg border=0 alt=Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket /> <br /><br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/200_artistrichardneuman-art-prints_.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><br /><img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/beartag_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <img src=http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/adopted_1_1.jpg border=0 alt=Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting /> <br /><img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/AnimatedPRD.gif alt= /> <img src=http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y53/DUCHESS13/World%20Tour/ZWT2.gif alt= /></p>