- Ready In:
- 1hr 15mins
- 16 ounces canned whole oysters, drain and reserve the liquid
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
- salt and pepper
- 3⁄4 cup milk (or light cream or Half & Half)
- 3 cups soda crackers, crumbled
- 1⁄2 cup white wine (mix with other liquids)
- 1⁄2 cup beer (mix with other liquids)
- 1 1⁄2 cups crumbled biscuits (mix with cracker crumbs)
- season salt
- In a greased casserole pan, place a layer of crumbled crackers, then a layer of oysters (drained but save the liquid), dot with butter and season with salt, pepper or seasoned salt. Repeat layers as desired or based on pan size. For a 9x9 or 9x13 it varies. Usually 3-5 cans of oysters are needed.
- Mom used to include some Ritz crackers but it isn’t required. Nothing is exact about the recipe, I just build it in layers until it looks right. Quantities depend on the pan.
- Once you have the layers done, (the top layer should be crushed crackers dotted with butter) pour the oyster liquid and milk/cream back on the creation to moisten. Usually it is a 50/50 mix. I have added some white wine and/or beer (up to ½ cup each). The key is to make sure all the crackers are moist/soggy. You don’t want any dry pockets. I usually let it set, covered, in the fridge for a few hours while the other stuff is being prepared. Then you bake at 425 degrees until brown/done (45 min or longer depending on oven).
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!