Oven Swiss Steak
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 45mins
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef round steak, 3/4-inch thick
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 (16 ounce) can stewed tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 2 tablespoons chopped onions
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Cut meat into 4 pieces.
- Mix flour and salt; pound into meat. Set remaining flour aside.
- Brown meat in hot shortening. Place in shallow baking dish.
- Blend flour with drippings. Add remaining ingredients except cheese.
- Cook, stirring constantly until mixture boils. Pour over meat;
- COVER and bake at 350 degrees for 2 hours.
- Top with cheese and return to oven until cheese melts.
- Serve with smashed potatoes and a green salad.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!