Orange Chicken with Almonds
Beautiful presentation and so flavourful! I like to serve buttered orzo and steamed asparagus alongside. The aparagus tastes so good dipped into the sauce.
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 6 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour, combined with
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 1⁄2 cups orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey, to taste
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄2 cup blanched slivered almond, toasted
- 1 navel orange, halved and sliced very thin
- In a large, stainless-steel saucepan, brown the chicken, patted dry and seasoned with salt and pepper, in batches, in the butter over moderate-high heat, transferring it to a plate as it is browned.
- Pour off all but 2 tblsps of the fat from the saucepan.
- Add the flour mixture, cinnamon and ginger to the saucepan and cook the roux over low heat, stirring, for 3 minutes.
- Add the orange juice in a stream, whisking.
- Bring the liquid to a boil, stirring, and simmer the sauce until slightly thickened.
- Stir in the honey, almonds and the raisins and arrange the chicken in the skillet in one layer (or as close to it as you can).
- Simmer the chicken, covered, for 30 minutes, or until it is tender.
- Transfer to a plate and tent with foil to keep warm.
- Skim the fat from the sauce and reduce it over moderate-high heat until it is thick enough to coat back of spoon.
- Add the orange slices and heat over low heat until the slices are heated through.
- Nap the chicken breasts with the orange slices and some of the sauce.
- Pass the remaining sauce separately.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
see 1 more