Onion Parmesan Gratin
photo by *Parsley*
- Ready In:
- Slice the onions in half lenghwise, then cut crosswise into thin slices.
- In a large skillet melt butter, then add in onions, thyme, cloves, pepper and salt; cover with lid and saute until the onions are very soft (about 10-12 minutes) adjust the salt to taste (do not add in too much salt as the Parmesan is salty!).
- Transfer the onions to a buttered gratin dish or small casserole dish and smooth it out with a spoon.
- At this point you can cover and let sit at room temperature to broil later.
- Preheat the broiler.
- In a small bowl whisk together egg yolks and whipping cream, the stir in Parmesan cheese.
- Pour the mixture over the onions in the baking dish.
- Place under the broiler (about 2-inches from heat).
- Broil until the top is golden.
- Serve immediately.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I gave this 5 stars. Yum! My family loved this recipe! My 4 yr old newphew who doesn't like onions said they were really good. My fiance complained that I didn't double the batch. I changed the recipe slightly. I did not add the cloves. I did not have Parmesan cheese so I used Romano. I even burned the top (first time broiling) and this turned out wonderful! I put this right in my recipe box. Thanks for posting a great recipe! Thanks christine (internetnut)
My husband liked it, but I'm not sure about this one. I made the mistake of letting the milk/egg/parm mix sit for a while until I was ready to broil, so it was too thick to pour and that may have been part of the problem, but I still think I'll just stick to your incredible Onion Patties, Kitten. If I do try this again, I will leave the cloves out.