Old-Fashioned Vinegar Rolls
- Ready In:
- 1hr 10mins
- 3⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar, divided
- 4 teaspoons cinnamon, divided
- 2 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 4 tablespoons butter or 4 tablespoons margarine, divided
- Combine vinegar, water, 1 cup sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon. Stir over low heat until sugar disolves. Cook over medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, mix and sift flour, baking powder and salt. Cut in shortening; stir in milk with fork until soft dough forms.
- Roll out into a rectangle about 1/4-inch thick. Combine remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over surface of rectangle. Dot with 2 tablespoons butter.
- Roll up, starting at longer side. Cut crosswise into slices 1 1/4 inches thick.
- Place slices, cut side up, close togather in deep baking dish. Dot with remaining butter.
- Pour hot vinegar mixture over all. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 to 40 minutes. Serve hot with heavy cream.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!