Old Bay Crabmeat Stuffing
photo by GrandmaIsCooking
- Ready In:
- 1hr 5mins
- 4 cups bread, cubed and toasted in a 325 degree oven for about 5 to 10 minutes
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped onions
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried chives
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 (6 ounce) can crabmeat, undrained
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon sherry wine
- 2 tablespoons water
- salt (it won't take much...)
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a skillet, melt the 1/2 stick of butter; in the butter, saute the onions with the Old Bay, Worcestershire Sauce, Tabasco Sauce, thyme, chives, nutmeg and celery seed, until onions are slightly browned.
- Stir in undrained crabmeat and its liquid; stir to blend, then add the toasted bread cubes, coating thoroughly with butter, crab and seasonings.
- Combine the sherry and water, then drizzle into the bread-crab mixture, incorporating all very well.
- Mix thoroughly, then transfer to a lightly greased baking dish and bake, covered, at 325 degrees F for 20 minutes; uncover and bake uncovered another 15 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
This stuffing was very good. I love anything with crabmeat in it. I left out the Tabasco, and when I make it again I will cut back on the thyme. But, that is a matter of personal preference, because highly spiced foods don't agree with me. I used apple juice instead of sherry, because I generally do not cook with alcohol. The adventurous members of my family really enjoyed it and I will make it again.
If the Crab Stuffing is a little dry, I use a well beaten egg in my dressing. It not only gives it extra moist8, I like the flavor. I have also added chopped frozen spinach, thaw, squeeze water out add to dtuff in annd lightly fluff it before putting it in the oven. Or you can make muffin size balls, ND bake them individually . Be careful as they c will brown before you know it. I family loves these. Can't wait to try this with the crab!!!