Napoleon's Hat Cookies (Napoleonshatte)
photo by Dreamer in Ontario
- Ready In:
40 small hats
- Mix together flour and shifted icing sugar.
- Cut the butter in small pices and cut it into the flour/sugar mix until the texture is coarse.
- Add the egg yolk and water and quickly work the dough together.
- Place the dough in the fridge for at least 30 minute.
- Roll the marzipan into 40 small balls, set aside.
- Heat oven to 400°F.
- Roll out the cold dough on a workspace dusted with flour until the dough is very thin (0.1 inch). It should be as thin as possible without breaking.
- Use a cup or round cookie cutter with 2 inch diameter and cut out 40 round cookies. Gather and roll out cookie dough repeatedly as you go along to use up all dough.
- Place one marzipan roll in the middle of each round cookie.
- Gather the round cookie dough with three fingers and press around the marzipan ball; the form of the cookie should now look like Napoleon's hat (3 flaps sticking out).
- Place the 'hats' on baking sheets lined with parchment paper and bake for 8 min until sligtly golden.
- Let cool.
- Melt chocolate over a double boiler and dip the three flaps of the hat in the chocolate.
- Cool and enjoy!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
These little cookies are delicious and quite quick to make. That being said, I did have a problem with the marzipan leaking out of about 1/2 of the cookies. I baked them in two batches and with the 2nd batch I was extra careful to make sure the dough was sealed but some of the cookies still leaked. I'm not sure what I did wrong. Probably I need to practice. The marzipan that oozed out of the cookies became crispy and delicious, too. Made for Sweet Traditions Tag. A post script to my review: DH wants me to make these again. He loved them so I'll definitely get a chance to practice.