My Mum's Salmon Mornay
photo by Sara 76
- Ready In:
- 1 (310 g) can canned red salmon, drained
- 45 g butter
- 1⁄2 cup plain flour
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 600 ml milk
- 1⁄2 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1 pickle, sliced (optional)
- 3 shallots, chopped (green onions)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup cheese, sharp grated
- 1⁄2 cup breadcrumbs, soft
- 1⁄2 tablespoon butter, melted
- Melt butter, add flour, salt and pepper and cook approximately 1 minute.
- Add milk and stir constantly until it boils and thickens, add other ingredients, other than breadcrumbs and melted butter.
- Pour into casserole dish and top with buttered breadcrumbs (breadcrumbs mixed with melted butter).
- Place in moderate oven 180 deg C (350 deg F) until mornay is heated through and breadcrumbs are golden brown, approximately 25mins.
- Serve with rice.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I loved this! I am a big fan of salmon mornay, and this has to be the best I've ever had! have already made it twice, just forgot to review it. Thanks heaps for sharing it! *********************************************** I just made this again for Good Friday, but instead of using canned salmon, I used some leftover cooked fish from a BBQ earlier in the week. I doubled the recipe, using a little over 500g of a combination of trevalla, flounder, and atlantic salmon. it is truly delicious! I just wish i was allowed to give another 5 stars!
see 3 more reviews
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
Hi I’m Glen and I live in Sydney with my wonderful husband Ross. We have eight beautiful grandchildren, two of them live near us in Sydney, two live in Western Australia, two more live in Queensland and another two in northern NSW. I can't imagine how I ever managed before I found Zaar - I use it regularly to plan meals and find new and interesting recipes and most important of all to keep track of our family favourites. <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://wmg.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://wmg.photobucket.com/albums/v209/rglgrl/1159781795.pbw" height="240" width="360"></embed> The photos are of our beautiful grandchildren. <embed type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://wmg.photobucket.com/pbwidget.swf?pbwurl=http://wmg.photobucket.com/albums/v209/rglgrl/1160294339.pbw" height="360" width="360"></embed> <a href="http://photobucket.com/" target="_blank"><img src="http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v209/rglgrl/Collagez520-1.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting"></a> <img src="http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b399/susied214/permanent%20collection/untitled.jpg" border="0" alt="Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting">