My Aunt Ruby's Hot Rolls
photo by diner524
- Ready In:
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk, hot
- 1⁄2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine, melted
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (we make up a cup of instant but if you have the real thing, they work just as good)
- 1.5 (1/4 ounce) packages dry yeast (proof it in the next ingredient)
- 1⁄4 cup water (warmed up but not too hot)
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- Combine milk, margarine, sugar, salt, potatoes, let cool and add yeast, then eggs. Add flour a cup at atime for easy mixing. Mix with hands or big heavy duty spoon till there are no lumps and the dough is pliable but not too flimsy. Cover the dough ball with oil (about a spoon full) like you would a pizza dough and let set 1 hour or until almost doubled in size. Knead for a few minutes, Sprinkle flour on your rolling out surface and roll out about ½ inch thick and cut with jar lid or biscuit cutter. Melt a little margarine and dab the tops lightly and let raise for about 3 hours. Bake at 350-375 for 16-20 minutes or until they are browned. You can also leave in the fridge overnight and roll out the next day.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!