photo by Mary Jenny
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 20mins
FOR THE PASTA
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
FOR THE FILLING
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 large onion, diced very fine
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 300 g white mushrooms, diced very fine
- 1 teaspoon fresh rosemary, finely minced
- 75 g cream cheese
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 garlic clove, grated
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, finely minced
- sea salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 35 g cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup white wine
- 4 slices thick cut bacon, diced
FOR THE PASTA:
- In a large bowl, combine the two flours and salt.
- Make a well in the flour and crack in the eggs.
- Get messy! Dig in with your bare hands and squish and mix and mash until the egg and flour are completely incorporated. Continue to knead for about 10 minutes, or until the dough becomes smooth and elastic.
- Form into a ball, cover with a damp kitchen towel and let rest for 30–90 minutes.
- Cut the dough into two pieces and get yourself a small bowl of water.
- On a heavily floured surface, roll out the dough until it's almost see through. VERY thin. Cut into long strips with a pizza cutter or knife about 3 or 4 inches wide and then repeat in a perpendicular direction. you should be creating squares that are 3 to 4 inches.
- Heap a large tbsp or so onto each square, wet the edges with water and place a second square over top. Pinch the edges together and set aside on another floured surface. You can cover with another damp kitchen towel here to prevent the pasta from drying out.
- Continue until you run out of dough and filling.
- To cook your pasta, boil a large pot filled with at least 8 cups of water and add about 1 tbsp of salt (make the water almost to ocean saltiness), bring to a boil, toss in the pasta and cook for about 4 minutes.
- Remove and drain.
FOR THE FILLING:
- In a large, heavy bottomed sauté pan, heat the butter, garlic and onions.
- Add the mushrooms and rosemary and continue to sauté until everything is cooked through, about 7 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream cheese. Set aside until cool and then fill your pasta!
FOR THE SAUCE:
- In a heavy bottomed sauté pan, cook your bacon until desired crispness, set aside on kitchen towels to drain.
- Wipe out pan and heat butter and garlic until the butter has melted and begun to bubble.
- Add in the rosemary, salt and pepper. Stir and cook 2 minutes.
- Add the wine and reduce down by half.
- Remove from heat and stir in the cream cheese. Toss hot, drained pasta fresh from the pot in the sauce. Plate, sprinkle with bacon and serve!
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!