Most Tender Pie Crust
photo by YummySmellsca
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 30mins
- 1 1⁄4 cups flour (divided)
- 1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 5 7⁄8 ounces about 3/4 cup lard
- 1⁄3 cup ice water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- In a large bowl with a pastry blender or two knives, cut lard into flour and salt until particles are the size of small peas.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup flour, the water and the vinegar, whisk until smooth.
- Pour all at once into lard/flour mixture; stir with a fork just until the ingredients are combined.
- Divide dough in half, wrap each in plastic wrap and chill a minimum of 2 hours, preferably overnight (I tried skipping this once - don't!).
- Roll out and bake as your recipe directs.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>Montessori teacher, nutritionist and pastry chef: baking is my passion, but teaching the value of good food to whole families is close to my heart too! I have a passion for re-instilling the love of good-quality, home-made and mostly healthy food into the hearts and kitchens of children and their families today. I believe that any ?homemade? food, even when labelled as naughty, is a more wholesome treat than pre-packaged, cookie-cutter junk.</p> 9408826"