Moroccan Game Hens & Vegetables
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 2 turnips, peeled and cut into 1 1/2 inch chunks
- 1 large onion, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 Cornish hens
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1⁄2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. In a small bowl, whisk honey, lemon juice, paprika, cumin, ginger, cinnamon, salt, pepper, and cayenne. In a large bowl, combine zucchini, turnips, squash, onion and garlic. Toss with 3 tablespoons spice mixture.
- With a heavy chef's knife or poultry shears, cut hens in half lengthwise, from breast through backbone. Cut off wing tips and first joint. With a paper towel, pull skin off breast, wing, thigh and leg bones; discard skin. Rub hens with remaining spice mixture.
- Lightly oil a 10 x 14 inch roasting pan or coat it with nonstick spray. Spread vegetables in pan; toss with tomatoes and their juices. Nestle hens, bone-side down, into vegetables. Add chicken broth to pan. Cover tightly with foil.
- Bake hens and vegetables for 45 minutes. Uncover and roast, basting occasionally with pan juices, until hens are no longer pink inside and vegetables are tender, 15 - 20 minutes more. Garnish with parsley and cilantro and serve.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Made this yesterday, and it was delicious. Didn't have all the vegetables in the recipe, so used sweet potatoes and onions, and it turned out great. Served with mashed potatoes although couscous would've been more authentic. Tonight the shredded up leftover chicken and vegetables were warmed through with golden raisins and put in tortilla wraps - another yummy dinner. Thanks for the recipe!