Mom's Jewish Braised Fresh Beef Tongue
- Ready In:
- Boil the tongue for 2- 2 1/2 hours in a large covered pot. It should be fork tender.
- Remove with a cooking fork and put it on a large platter.
- Remove the skin with a knife. You might have to let it cool awhile before you can do this.
- On the platter, season the tongue with the salt, pepper, garlic powder, and alot of paprika.
- In the same large pot that you've cleaned of all the debris from boiling the tongue, Saute the chopped onion, that you have seasoned with some of the same seasonings, until translucent.
- Put the seasoned tongue on a rack inside the same large pot and add only 1/2" of water to pot.
- Add carrots and potatoes and roast, covered, about 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven.
- Remove pot from oven and make sure there is enough liquid for gravy. If not, add some more water.
- Put back in 350 degree oven for another 30 minutes to brown and thoroughlly cook carrots and potatoes.
- Let stand for 15 min after cooking; then slice and serve all together, putting the gravy in a gravy boat.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I remember my mom making tongue and I have been looking every where and found it in all places wal-mart so I found yours to be the closes to how my mom made tongue so the only thing is you do not say how to make the gravy so I will have to wing that one but it smells awesome thank you for sharing have a bless day
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a proud mother of 2 married sons and 2 young granddaughters. I came to Maine to be near my 2 girls. I very often bring dinner to my family using Recipezaar recipes, which get great reviews. I've been getting recipes from Recipezaar for years and think this is the best and easiest site to use, so I finally joined. The chefs here seem to be really friendly and helpful. I love to read and I love art. I work 4 days a week selling furniture and look forward to working 3 days a week next year.