Mom's Cheesy Mashed Potato and Corn Casserole
- Ready In:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into quarters.
- Put the potatoes in a pan and just cover them with cold water. Add salt.
- Bring to a boil and boil gently for 15-20 minutes or until tender when pierced with a fork.
- Mash potatoes with a potato masher or use an electric mixer on low. Don't try and get the potatoes to be lump free, as that is part of what makes them good.
- Season potatoes with salt and pepper to taste.
- Grease the bottom of a 9x13 pan.
- Pour well drained corn into the pan (make sure the corn is REALLY well drained there will be too much liquid. I press on the corn with a clean kitchen towel or paper towels to sop up the extra liquid).
- Cover the corn with the mashed potatoes.
- Sprinkle the top of the mashed potatoes with cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes and serve with a serving spoon.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Whenever I make corn and mashed potatoes as a side dish I end up mixing them on my plate and topping with cheese. When I seen this recipe today I knew it would be good. I did add some Mrs. Dash Onion and Herb seasoning just cause I like the flavor in my potatoes. Thanks for the recipe on putting them together in one dish.
My family loved this. I did cheat a bit, I used instant potatoes because I don't make "real" mashed potatoes. Other then that, I followed the recipe as written. My kids loved everything mixed together. It was really tasty and easy to make. I will be making this again. This would be great to make when you have leftover mashed potatoes also.
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I grew up in Tucson but moved to Colorado in 1989 and live in a household with my husband, Dad, daughter and 3-year old twin granddaughters. Our 8-year old grandson spends 2 nights a week with us. All of that adds up to often difficult menu ideas to met everyone's tastes. Zaar is very addicting and I love trying the recipes I find here. I like to find recipes of people that I see are still active on Zaar and love it when I hear back from the Chef after I review the recipe. Everytime someone reviews one of my recipes, I like to find one of theirs to make and review as quickly as possible. It's a way for me to find great chefs I don't know yet too! My husband has high blood sugar so we try to watch our carbs, but it is not easy because we love them so much! I was diagnosed with brain tumors in 2005 and so far have had 5 surgeries that have left my eyelid droopy. I hope to have a surgery that will correct that soon!! There is still one tumor they have not removed but my wonderful doctor James Garrity at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN says they will leave it alone until or if it ever causes problems!