Mexican Tamale Pie
- Ready In:
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper
- 1⁄2 cup green bell pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes (include juice)
- 1 (19 ounce) can red kidney beans
- 1 lb frozen mixed vegetables, your choice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cilantro
- 2 cups veggie crumbles (Yves, Boca, etc.)
- 1 1⁄2 cups grated low-fat cheddar cheese or 1 1/2 cups monterey jack cheese
- Bring 2 cups of water and the salt to a boil, slowly add cornmeal, stirring constantly.
- Cover and lower the heat and continue cooking for 10 minutes, stirring often.
- Put the next 9 ingredients into a medium to large saucepan.
- Simmer for 15-20 minutes, until vegetables are cooked and onions are glassy.
- Spread the cornmeal mixture into the bottom of a 9x13 ungreased pan.
- Spoon vegetable mixture over the cornmeal.
- Bake in a 350F oven for 25 minutes.
- Sprinkle cheese on top and cook for 5 more minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
My name is Carrie. I'm just turning (gasp!) 40. I live in Southern Ontario, Canada (near Toronto) with my husband and our dog. No kids. I'm always on the lookout for new recipes. I like to have quick to prepare menus for weekdays, but on weekends I have the time to make more involved dishes. We are wine lovers and have fun pairing dishes with one of our many bottles of wine. We are a vegetarian household.