Layered casserole of Mexican yumminess!
- Ready In:
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 (1 1/2 tablespoon) packet taco seasoning
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies
- 2 cups cheddar cheese
- 1 (15 ounce) can refried beans
- 4 ounces canned chipotle chiles in adobo, chopped
- 16 small corn tortillas, cut in half
- Heat oil in skillet over medium high heat.
- Cook onions until translucent.
- Add garlic, taco seasoning and ground beef, cook until brown.
- Stir in green chilies.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lightly grease pie plate and cover bottom with 4 tortillas.
- Layer in this order: 1/2 beef mixture, 1/2 cheese, 4 tortillas, beans, 4 tortillas, chipolte peppers, 4 tortillas, remaining beef, remaining cheese.
- Bake 30-40 minutes uncovered, or until cheese is melted.
- Serve with toppings of choice (salsa, sour cream, and guacamole).
- Leave out the chipolte peppers if you do not like spice, feel free to add black beans with refried beans for extra protein, and substitute leftover chicken or turkey for the beef with ease. Double recipe to freeze ahead for a lazy or crazy day.
MY PRIVATE NOTES
Add a Note
JOIN THE CONVERSATION
Can't believe I'm lucky enough to be the first to review this easy and great tasting recipe. All the layers of Mexican flavors and so easy to put together. I did a compo of meat with the ground round and some left over shredded pork I had and feel like that even added to the flavor. Also felt it looked a tad dry so added some enchilada sauce over the top before putting in the oven. As there's just DH & me had a lot left over so divided into servings and froze and will be anxious to see how that turns out. Made for Spring PAC 2014Reply